[Koha] Koha 3 hosted on a 500mhz iBook

Shorthouse, Alex ashorthouse at RSD13.ORG
Tue Apr 1 05:26:34 NZDT 2008

I work in a small, Mac-based school district.  Three of our elementary
school libraries still use old cards and stamps to check out books,
because they do not have an ILS.  We have been experimenting with Koha 2
for a few weeks, but wanted Z39.50 search features, so decided to test
Koha 3.  The only available Mac was a 500 mhz, 12 inch iBook, so that is
where I installed Koha 3.  It took a number of hours to get all the Perl
modules, mySQL, and Apache set up, but I am happy to say it now works.

You can take a look at the screenshot here:
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5510/ibookkohaxv9.png

If anyone else tries to install Koha on a Mac, the only possible
confusing part is getting past Part 3 of the Web Installer.  In
"/etc/usr/share/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/installer" I had to edit
install.pl line 604 to "my $strcmd = "/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql" " from
"my strcmd = "mysql""

Otherwise, step 3 of the installer would not work, because Koha could
not find mySQL.

Koha 3 on this Mac is slow as molasses, but I am amazed that it works.
In a few weeks I'll put Koha 3 beta on a dual core 2 ghz Intel XServe to
really test it.

-Alex Shorthouse