[Koha] Koha Newbie Questions

Joshua M. Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Sep 13 02:51:43 NZST 2007

Hi Jon,

Just a quick note to address your question about the dual database design question.
In Koha version 2.2.x, we used a design with only one relational database at the
back-end. The database design was structured to allow us to divide up a MARC
record into its parts (fields, subfields, terms) to allow us to query on any/all of
those parts using SQL.

The problem with this design is that it doesn't scale well. Relational databases do
a great job of capturing transactions and storing data, but aren't too good at
allowing complex query operations on sets and subsets of that data. So for the
next version of koha (3.0), and the one that's been making the news lately,
we've integrated a textual database engine called Zebra (http://indexdata.dk/zebra)
that allows us to index the records (MARC, Holdings, Authorities, etc.) and
allow access to them via standard query languages and protocols (such as
Z39.50, SRW/U, CQL, CCL, PQF). The data is still stored in a back-end
relational database, the index is just one way to get at it ... it's primarily a
'read-only' database and doesn't contain authoritative data.

Generally speaking, there would not be a need to 're-index' Zebra, or to have
any periodic patch process to update the index, unless you drastically altered
the search index configuration. The index is updated in real time along with
transactions that are stored in the relational tables. In the case where you did
need to re-index, I've seen Zebra crunch through 7 million records in about
45 minutes.

This is really just a partial answer, because I've got to head out to a
conference I'm attending in Champaign IL this week :-). Let us know if
it answers some of your questions, and if you have additional ones.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
President, Technology migration, training, maintenance, support