[Koha] Re: Koha Digest, Vol 22, Issue 34

Chris Cormack crc at liblime.com
Tue Sep 11 08:50:23 NZST 2007

On 11/09/2007, at 8:38 AM, roger at hrothgar.co.uk wrote:

> I sent this some time ago but sent it from the wrong address so I
> don't think
> it arrived. Sorry if it appears twice.
>
> On Saturday 01 September 2007 03:26, colmcd at optusnet.com.au wrote:
>
>> Secondly My librarian is very dissapointed with the package. She
>> really
>> lamented not sending for payed software due to numerous bugs in Koha
>> (namely the reports DON't work at all and seem to be tailored to a
>> particular librarys needs).
>
> This last point is, I think, common with PD software. While commercial
> software may be designed from the start to suit every possible
> customer, PD
> software usually is developed from a program that was written for one
> particular person/company/institution.
>
> Koha was designed for a particular library in New Zealand and this
> shows. eg
> C4/Search.pm contains 16 lines converting between "nz" and "new
> zealand" but
> nothing converting "uk" into "United Kingdom" or "PNG" into "Papua New
> Guinea".
>
> The thing that causes me problems at the moment is that the
> original library
> seems to have had a need to catalogue mainly standard fiction books
> and the
> Marc fields that it was interested in do not include many that were
> vital in
> relation to other types of book. So the biblio tables only contains
> a limited
> amount of information:

[Big Snip]

Hi Roger

Those tables are a red herring really, its the marc_subfield_data
which holds the complete data. And anything in there can be shown in
the OPAC. So anything in the MARC can be shown in the opac.
You just have to pass it through to the template.

Chris

Chris Cormack                            chris.cormack at liblime.com
VP Research and Development                        www.liblime.com
LibLime                                             +64 21 542 131