[Koha] with RFID

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 11:50:57 NZST 2007

As far as I know this question is not materially different than "Can I use
barcode scanner X with Koha?" or "Can I use a DVORAK keyboard with Koha?",
since RFID readers are just another input device.  The answer is, properly
integrated, yes.

Perhaps you are thinking about the more advanced functions like:

   1. The user is walking out the secure doors w/ RFID tagged books.   If
   he has his RFID library card, then process the books as checked out to the
   user, print a receipt next to the door and open the door when the receipt is
   taken.  ELSE, if no RFID library card is detected or the checkouts have
   problems (like he's at max.) then sound alarm, notify desk staff, etc.
   2. Some kind of inventory aggregator that you roll through the stacks
   to get all the RFID/barcodes of the items.

I think of all these tasks as hardware integration issues.  The server
software shouldn't have to do anything different.  The latter, for example,
doesn't involve Koha at all, until after the file of barcodes is created.
At that point, it doesn't matter whether they were from RFID, laser scanners
or hand entered.

But maybe you are thinking of other limitations I am ignoring?
--Joe