[Koha] Borrower Catagories

Marty Jongepier bluejaydesign at sympatico.ca
Tue Oct 23 06:40:47 NZDT 2007

Which categories you want depends mainly on what you do with it.
The question to ask then, I think, is; WHY would you want more categories?
If you can't think of any good reasons, don't make any more than you need.

We are running a church library and the only categories we have are children
and adults, which works wonderful for us; children don't have to pay late
fines, but their parents do. Ultimately the parents are responsible.

If, in your school, you want to know in which room your students are, you
can add categories per homeroom. However, this probably means moving lots of
students over to another room category when they graduate. I shiver at the
thought. Students and teachers seem wonderfully adequate. I think it is
easier to add a category later (if needed) than having too many categories
you are never going to use.

>From a library point of view it hardly matters what you do, categories
decide which rights you can give to a certain group. Patrons are identified
by name or card number, not by category.

Hope this helps,

Marty