[Koha] Ubuntu/Debian: hosting and root access

Alka Larkan-Grobler alka at eisa.org.za
Thu Nov 1 01:16:15 NZDT 2007

Dear Koha users and developers

I am new to Koha, in fact haven't even downloaded it yet. I will be
using Ubuntu set up a test server (6.0.6 LAMP LTS) although the live
installation will probably be on a Debian box. I have some questions:

I will need to host the system on a server outside my LAN. I'd like it
to be on the same server that hosts our web site. I doubt that our
service provider will give me root access to their web server though. Is
it strictly necessary?

Also, it should be fine if I manage the database conversion using the
test setup and then move it over to the Debian system shouldn't it? I
mean, the database won't change from that surely?

You advice appreciated.

Warm regards
Alka

Alka Larkan-Grobler