[Koha] National holidays and other free days - how are they handled?

Mason James mtj at liblime.com
Mon May 28 15:31:25 NZST 2007

> ----- "Tomasz Holdowanski" <mordazy at poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> How Koha handles free days, especially national holidays in the
>> middle
>>
>> of a week? Is there a list where I can write down all dates when my
>> library is closed, so the system will not allow to set return date to
>>
>> any day from the list, but instead set it to the first "open" day
>> after
>> the "closed" one? I guess I could change the return date manually,
>> but
>>
>> it`s rather bad idea when there are up to 300 patrons  and up to 1500
>>
>> transactions per day... Any suggestions?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Tomasz.

Hi Tomaz,

Tumer Garip (and friends ;) wrote the original holidays code for
koha-3.0.

But I have been doing some recent work back-porting it to dev_week,
and rel-2.2.
So hopefully i can answer some of your questions...

There are basically 4 different ways that Koha handles due-dates that
fall on a holiday,
these a set by a  syspref called 'useDaysMode'

The most common (i think) holidays mode is 'DateDue',  this mode does
exactly what you described above.
You can define a national holiday as an 'anually repeating' holiday

Heres  paste from the sys-pref description.

---
useDaysMode -
"How to calculate return dates : 'Calendar' means that loan-length is
increased by ALL holidays occuring between issuing date and due-date,
'Datedue' means that due-date will be increased until next non-
calendar day, 'Days' means that holidays rules are ignored"
---

We are still currently testing it on the 'devweek' branch wth the NPL
templates, and we'll hopefully get some of the newer changes over to
rel-2.2 in the next few weeks

FYI: it looks like Antoine has got holidays currently included with
the latest 2.2 release, using the 'default' templates.

Hope that helps you :)

Mason James                                mason.james at liblime.com
Programmer                                         www.liblime.com
LibLime                                             +64 21 542 117