[Koha] National holidays and other free days - how are they handled?

Mason James mtj at liblime.com
Tue May 29 11:36:31 NZST 2007

----- "Tomasz Holdowanski" <mordazy at poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
Hi all,

How Koha handles free days, especially national holidays in the middle

of a week? Is there a list where I can write down all dates when my
library is closed, so the system will not allow to set return date to

any day from the list, but instead set it to the first "open" day
after
the "closed" one? I guess I could change the return date manually, but

it`s rather bad idea when there are up to 300 patrons  and up to 1500

transactions per day... Any suggestions?

Regards,
Tomasz.

Hi Tomasz,

Tumer Garip (and friends ;) wrote the original holidays code for
koha-3.0.

But I have been doing some recent work back-porting it to dev_week,
and rel-2.2.
So hopefully i can answer some of your questions...

There are basically 4 different ways that Koha handles due-dates that
fall on a holiday,
these a set by a  syspref called 'useDaysMode'

The most common (i think) holidays mode is 'DateDue',  this mode does
exactly what you described above.
You can define a national holiday as an 'anually repeating' holiday

Heres  paste from the sys-pref description.

---
useDaysMode -
"How to calculate return dates : 'Calendar' means that loan-length is
increased by ALL holidays occuring between issuing date and due-date,
'Datedue' means that due-date will be increased until next non-
calendar day, 'Days' means that holidays rules are ignored"
---

We are still currently testing it on the 'devweek' branch wth the NPL
templates, and we'll hopefully get some of the newer changes over to
rel-2.2 in the next few weeks

FYI: it looks like Antoine has got holidays currently included with
the latest 2.2 release, using the 'default' templates.

Hope that helps.

Mason James                                mason.james at liblime.com
Programmer                                         www.liblime.com
LibLime                                             +64 21 542 117