[Koha] [Fwd: Re: Koha Virtual Appliance]

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Sat May 5 13:26:01 NZST 2007

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Koha Virtual Appliance
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 08:03:58 -0500
From: Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org>
To: rachel at katipo.co.nz
<463A8553.9010108 at katipo.co.nz>

On Fri, 04 May 2007 12:58:59 +1200, Rachel Hamilton-Williams wrote
> Hi Jim,
>
> i'll forward your suggestion to the Koha lists (regular and developer).
> It sounds like a good idea, and we've had Koha easier to install in the
> past as part of Debian, but of course every time Koha changes you have
> to do a new one.
>
> I suspect all the project needs to do this, is someone keen to do it.
>
> Cheers
> Rachel

Thanks for your response.  There always seems to be some problems with
compatibility
when either Debian or Koha has an update.  If a virtual machine was
created and
distributed by the developers every time Koha was updated it sure could
make life easier
on the end users.  And building a virtual machine under VMware isn't
much different than
building a standard server, so it shouldn't take much extra expertise,
just a desire to
do so.  If this was done the end user would have a pre-built Koha server
ready to go.
All they would need is some instruction of which .conf files to modify
for their
personal domain and how to change passwords.  This could make things
much less technical
for the end user, and who better to gather and install all dependencies
than the developers.

Another suggestion would be to have them talk to Debian or Ubuntu and
see if one of them
could add Koha into their software repository.  I will be emailing
Ubuntu to try and do
such a thing.  This would make it so that any Debian or Ubuntu user
could just "apt-get
install koha" and then just wait for setup prompts.  Apt would handle
all dependencies.

At this point I am trying to build my own VMware image, if I get that
done I will try
and make a torrent and get it out on the internet with some instructions.

Thanks again.

Jim Kronebusch

Rachel Hamilton-Williams
General Manager