[Koha] OPAC username and password

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Thu Jun 7 14:32:09 NZST 2007

Hello to all list members,

The Intranet area of the Koha website has username + password
protection for authentication and authorisation.

Is the same available for the OPAC, thereby rendering the P
in OPAC to "Private" instead of "Public"?

I would think that this would be a common and widespread requirement
for the OPAC. For example, a private collection has been put
online at a dedicated remote hosting service but the content
should not be publicly accessible.

One option of course is to use htpasswd and a config section
in Apache to restrict access to the OPAC. But this would entail
maintaining two access lists: one in a text file for htpasswd and
another in the Koha database. We require one single authentication
and authorisation scheme, not several.

Can password access for the OPAC simply be "turned on"?

If not, would I have to copy the existing password/cookie functionality
as found in the intranet scripts into the OPAC scripts?

cheers
rickw