[Koha] Re: Koha Digest, Vol 21, Issue 11

Michel Virard mvirard at symtec.ca
Wed Jul 11 07:37:54 NZST 2007

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 03:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
> From: mars123 <swathiha at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Koha] barcode scanner in koha
> To: koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
>

> sir
>     i have installed  koha 2.2.2 in fedora core 4.
>  How can i implement or use a barcode scanner for cataloging purpose that is
> for issuing books, returning books, renewing books operations.
>
> I found in koha there is provision for generating barcodes.
>
> which type of barcode scanner is i can use with koha.
>
> it is possible to use the barcode scanner for stock verification purpose.
>
> How can i use a barcode scanner for all these purposes...
>
> i am waiting for answers.....
> Thanks in advance..

To answer first question: which type of bar-code scanner.
The easiest is to mount what is called a "wedge wand" (that is a handheld bar code reader that connect between a PC keyboard and a PC) on one or more client terminals, (not on the server). Price goes between 100USD and 300USD for good quality, reliable bar code readers (Intermec, Symbol). Typical encoding is Code39 for numbers.

Once this wand is installed, you can scan the ISBN number bar code (already present on most book back covers) and of course any additional bar code label you may have designed. The wedge wand simple principle is the following: whenever your client terminal Koha administrator interface is waiting for an input (on the right MARC field, of course), the stream of hand type digits can be replaced by a single scan of the proper label with the wand. Speed and error free are the benefits. If the wand is out of order, you can still enter those number manually.

During lending and return operations, the bar code reading with the wand will come handy. You can also go one step farther and make borrower cards with bar-codes (another story) so identifying the borrower and his book is now completely automated.

Now the trickier part is to create the book label(s) themselves: you don't want too much or too little information on the label. Just the right amount for the job. The current program for printing labels in Koha 2.2.9 uses large sheet of many labels (by the way, I have not been able to print them correctly so far). I would appreciate an easier program that prints a single label at a time (using a small label printer, not a standard laser printer) at the end of the cataloguing operation of one book.

Has anyone worked on such a single label program ?

Michel Virard, ing.   -   Symtec international
101-5000 Decelles, Montréal, QC, H3V 1J1
Tél. 514 343 4571 - Fax. 514 343 9403
mvirard at symtec.ca