[Koha] How are public libraries handling magazines

Joshua M. Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sun Jul 8 05:02:45 NZST 2007

Hi John,

Great to have you on-list :-)

----- "John R. Clark" <berek at tds.net> wrote:
> Good morning,
> This is my first post although I've been a lurker for several months and am
> running Koha as my circulation system (set up by Liblime). I played a bit
> with the serials portion of the program, but wasn't able to get too far. I
> am curious as to how libraries, particularly public ones are handling the
> adding and circulation of magazines. In my old system, I was able to use a
> generic barcode to check out issues of the same periodical (Newsweek, Time,
> People, etc.) and simply used the issue date in checkout. I'd like to keep
> the process as simple as possible since I'm a one pony outfit. Any and all
> suggestions/experiences gratefully welcomd.
We need to improve on the documentation of the serials module, for
sure. There is a Guide written up here:

http://kohadocs.org/corpSerials/corpSerials.html

That may be of some help. Note that the screenshots are for the hlt
templates, not npl (which I believe you're using), but the workflow
should be much the same.

There are also some system preferences that need to be set up ahead
of time for serials to work properly, but I'm not sure if those have
been documented thusfar ... Ryan, thoughts on that?

Cheers,