[Koha] Re: inventory.pl not working for me

Joshua M. Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sun Jul 8 04:56:59 NZST 2007

----- "Matthew Metzger" <news at metzger.cc> wrote:
> When I search the OPAC, I get a column in the results that is titled
> "call number". However, the value of this is not always unique. Of
> course this is a different field than itemcallnumber, but perhaps one
> field could be copied to the other. I'm guessing that itemcallnumber
> must be unique in order for the reports to work properly and so
> copying one field to the other would not solve my problem. Could anyone
> confirm if this is true or not.
Hi Matthew,

OK, first ... itemcallnumber doesn't need to be unique, at least,
that's not a database constraint, it's more of a policy decision.

As far as the 'call number' column in the OPAC and Staff searches,
this is an area of Koha that could be improved. The problem is that
every library seems to handle the concept of 'call number' slightly
differently. Right now, depending on which template you're using (npl
vs default) the call number column will, by default, display a
hard-coded value that is a mapping from the MARC record to koha's
table values.

A quick and dirty way to fix this for yourself is to decide which
of the fields in the Koha Biblio Mapping section (in Admin) you
want to display in the call number column, and go edit your template
to reflect those fields (opac-searchresults.tmpl I believe).

A more long-term solution could include a new management section of
Koha allowing selection of what fields to display where ... this
would be a fantastic project if someone has the time to work on it
or the resources to hire a programmer to do it.

Cheers,