[Koha] Meet contribs.koha.org

Joshua M. Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Wed Jan 17 15:54:36 NZDT 2007

Hi folks,

I'm happy to announce today that the Koha project has launched
a new tool to streamline the user contribution process. Meet
contribs.koha.org, our new Extensions Manager.

Our goal with this tool is to lower the learning curve and overhead
for contributing add-on components to Koha. We know many of you
have created some nifty additions to Koha (fresh redesign of the
templates, some command-line utilities, migration scripts, an icon
set, a new MARC framework) but aren't keen on learning CVS or
sending off an email to the dev list every time you change something
minor. If that describes you, the new Extensions Manager will
allow you to distribute your Koha extension using a simple web-based
interface.

So ... how to get started?

1. Create an archive (zip file ) of your extension with any
documentation and license information included.

2. Create an account on contribs.koha.org. Click on the 'Login' link
and then 'Register' to get an account.

3. Log in and then click 'Add' to add your extension.

4. Give your extension a meaningful name and description and assign
it to the appropriate categories (if you need a new catagory to be
added, send an email to the koha-devel list and we'll add it).

5. Specify which versions of Koha your extension works with.

6. After you upload, send an email to the Koha developer's list
announcing your extension and describing what it does.

7. When you change your extension, update it on contribs.koha.org

If you have any questions or have trouble with the system send an
email to the list and we'll try to get it sorted out.

On behalf of the Koha Development Team, I'd like to thank:

  *Pierrick Le Gall for creating the Extensions Manager
  *Chris Cormack from Katipo for spending a weekend translating and
   installing it as well as packaging and uploading some of his
   contributions
  *Kyle Hall for testing it out by uploading the tools he's created
  *LibLime for hosting space and bandwidth

Cheers,