[Koha] Koha installation: which hardware and OS?

Roger Hart rhart at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Aug 11 05:18:43 NZST 2007

I'd like recommendations on which hardware and OS to choose to most easily,
reliably, and economically run Koha, and only Koha?

I've been doing some volunteer work installing Koha at my daughter's school.
I've installed Koha on my old Apple PowerBook G4, and gotten it to work just
fine, but it is much too slow. We also have an older Dell Server. We have
tried to install Koha on Ubuntu, CentOS, Windows 2000 Server, and each time
run into considerable problems. So many problems, in fact, that I have
decided it might be easiest just to purchase and donate a machine to the
school.

We don't need a very powerful server: our library is small, about 10,000
books; we have about 35 students.

So I would very much appreciate it if someone would let me know what
hardware and OS Koha "expects", that is: (1) what hardware will give us the
least trouble in setting up Koha, and please be as specific as possible,
such as a Dell [model, CPU, etc.]; and (2) what OS running on that hardware
will require the least troubleshooting, etc., to get everything running, and
again please be specific as possible, such as Ubuntu N.n, etc.?

In sum, what is the most standard hardware and OS configuration for Koha?

We really need to get this up and running as soon as possible. We have spent
so much time with installing different versions of perl modules, yaz, etc.,
or finding drivers for various hardware, etc.

What we really need now is a machine and OS that will allow us a clean
install without a lot of debugging and troubleshooting.

Thanks very much,

Roger Hart
Asst. Professor in History, University of Texas at Austin