[Koha] Newbie install questions

Linda R lindamarcella at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 14:09:27 NZST 2007

Hi,

I'm trying to install Koha on FC3, following Joshua Ferraro's 1/9/2005 document, "Installing Koha 2.2 on Fedora Core (1, 2, 3)."

I had some problems installing yaz.  At first it installed fine for fc3/yaz-2.1.8-1.

But then, on "perl -MCPAN -e 'install Net::Z3950'", it said, "ZOOM-Perl requires at least version 2.1.50 of Yaz but you only have version 2.1.8".  So I see in the YAZ repository that 2.1.50 is in the FC5 directory. Well, I think this won't work well with FC3, but I try it any way.  So, I install YAZ, this time 2.1.50-1(of FC5), but now it says "Failed dependencies: libc.so.6, libcrypto.so.6, libssl.so.6.

So a nice young man in the koha IRC chat suggests downloading the yaz-2.1.50-1 tar file and installing it by configure and make.  So eventually that worked, and I was able to install the remaining Perl modules.  MySQL was already installed.

Now I'm about to try starting MySQL.

If I have any more problems, do you think it would be best to upgrade to FC4, or 5, or 6, or 7?  Should I use the Which version of Fedora Core are most people using?  What is the latest FC that works with Koha?  Would anyone strongly recommend changing to Debian, provided I could keep the current /home partition?

Thank you,

Linda