[Koha] Fw: From CDS/ISIS to Koha

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Thu Apr 5 11:06:37 NZST 2007

Wednesday, April 4, 2007     18:01 CDT

Hi, Danica,

If you have been able to get the records out in MARC format now, one solution to the problem with messed up diacritics (common problem in records migration by the way) would be to use the free utility MARCBreaker, available from the Library of Congress MARC Records, Systems and Tools page, and bundled as part of MARCEdit, available via a link off the same page, at

  URL <http://www.loc.gov/marc/marctools.html>

to break the records into an editable tagged MARC format and then use MARCEdit's search and replace functions to replace systematically the messed up special characters.

If you need help with that, let me know off listserv and I'll see what I can do to help.

Perhaps someone else will have a more elegant solution, but I am certain that this would work (at least if the same diacritic character always yielded the same error).

Good luck with the rest of your data migration and Koha setup!

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte