[Koha] Questions for setting Parameters

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Nov 3 08:11:55 NZDT 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 09:56:38AM -0900, Darla Grediagin wrote:
> Item Types -- For this, do I use what I want in a library or what I have
> now.  I am finding in my old automation system I have a plethora of the
> category or "language materials".  I find this on line 911 of the MARC
> record.  Am I looking at the right place?  Is there a list of accepted
> item types for MARC records.  I have looked at the Library of Congress
> website and not found the answer to that question.  I am assuming that I
> have some work to do to clean up my current records before I migrate
> them over.
The item types in version 2.2.6 are used for two things:

1. material designations (to separate the materials for search limits)
2. circulation rules (to define whether they are for loan, and if so,
for how long, and who what borrowers, etc.)

There is no accepted standard for this as it's library-specific. So feel
free to divide your collection however you see fit.

> Setting up the MARC tag structure -- Are any MARC fields loaded or do I
> need to load all that I will use?  I believe that I have to load them
> all, but I want to check before I start that process.
That all depends on what framework you're currently using ... are you
using the standard MARC21 framework?

> Thanks for all the questions of mine that have been answered and any
> answers to these.  I know I will have more as the process continues.  I
> also know that I will be thrilled when I have finished this and can move
> from the lost beginner to someone who can help others.
We're glad to help and excited to have yet another user in the Koha
community ... so welcome :-)

Cheers,