[Koha] Thanks, Net::Z3950 make error resolved

Marty Jongepier bluejaydesign at sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 24 14:17:05 NZST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: h lowe [mailto:heidilowe at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 22, 2006 10:14 AM
To: Marty Jongepier
Thanks Heidi,

That worked wonderful, also with Net::Z3950 version 0.51
What would I have done without you!?

Thanks again,

Marty

Subject: Re: [Koha] Net::Z3950 make error...

Hmm it sounds like y'all are talking about two different things. you
are talking about net::z3950, he's talking about net::z3950::zoom. you
probably could use zoom, I don't know. But the install document says
Net::z3950 so thats what I went with.
Your error and set up sounds a lot like one I experienced, so I will
tell you in (hopefully specific) steps what I did to make it work.
First, I went to the a website (I didn't write down which one, eek.
So, lets say I found it on cpan somewhere) and downloaded the
net::z3950 module as an archive(tar.gz). I used version 0.50. Then I
unpacked it.
Then I opened Makefile.PL using a text editor. I don't remember which
one. (They always say you should use vi editor, but its so tricky. I
never know if its saved or not.)
Anyways I commented out the last three lines, like this:

sub MY::postamble {
    '$(MYEXTLIB): yazwrap/Makefile
	cd yazwrap && $(MAKE) INC=$(PASTHRU_INC) $(PASTHRU)';
}

#sub MY::post_constants {
#    'PASTHRU_INC=$(INC)'
#}

Then saved it (if using vi, make sure you press esc and :wq, not :q as
I am prone to do :)
Then I double checked it, to make sure it saved,
and then I was able to install it using

perl Makefile.PL
make
make install

and lo and behold I got my z3950 to work.
I don't know if that will work for you, especially since I don't
understand why I got that error in the first place. But, I figure it
can't hurt to try.
Good luck and let me know if it works.
-Heidi