Fwd: [Koha] MARC tag structure problem, Dewey problems & Possible to create items when importing MARC?

Stephen Hedges st.hedges at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 01:00:34 NZST 2006

When I was at NPL, we had a script that used the Perl MARC::Record
module to basically re-write the records before they were imported
into Koha.  However you do it, you will need to get all of your
"holdings" information into one tag for Koha, and anything that is not
really item information (there's usually lots of "biblioitems" stuff
in the old holdings tag) needs to be moved out to a separate tag
before import.  The tag you use for item data (for Koha) must contain
all of your items data and ~only~ item data.

I'm guessing bulkmarcimport.pl won't work until you have your MARC
Check working cleanly.

I've attached the NPL script, just as an example.  Note that it's been
a while since I worked directly with Koha; I hope some of the
developers will jump in and tell us if anything has changed that would
affect this issue.

Stephen