[Koha] Getting books into the database

Alex King alex at king.net.nz
Fri Aug 25 08:37:35 NZST 2006

thaetviking wrote:
> I have been given the joy of redoing everything in our library because of
> some ineptness.  I need quick answers if possible.  We are running Follett
> and the novell server died and I was given the task of dealing with this
> after the person who ran it was fired.  I would like to move to open source
> but was wondering can you convert the tables for follet?  Also can you scan

I don't know follet at all so I can't help there.

> the barcode on a book and have it up the information on the web kind of like

What you are looking for is called z39.50 in library circles.  There is
not one z39.50 source but many, provided by larger libraries I guess.
You need to identify a library or libraries with a similar holding as
yours who provide a z39.50 service.

> CDDB?  Since we already have barcodes made for each book can we use the
> pre-generated ones as their identifier?  I really appreciate any help.  I am

Yes, as you enter your books you can assign an arbitrary barcode, ie the
code the book is already labelled with.  It would be easier if you could
get data out of your old system of course, even if it is only the data
matching your barcode with the ISBN.  If you can't do this, you will
need to scan the ISBN and your barcode manually for each book.

HTH,

Alex