[Koha] ISBN problem

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Thu Aug 17 19:38:00 NZST 2006

Thursday, August 17, 2006     02:31 CDT

Salut Greg!

>From just a quick look at what you said, it looks like someone's import of a Z39.50 search might have pulled up a record for another edition of the same work.

The second ISBN noted, as I am sure your librarian pointed out, is not in the format that we cataloguing staff would naturally use (hyphens are not encoded in 020).

An interesting occurence: do let the listserv know if you find the ultimate cause.

Bon courage!

Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

P.S. As an afterthought: despite the International in ISBN, however, there are cases where the same edition published in different locations somehow ends up with different ISBNs. We had one such at a military library where I once had a contract and the publisher tried to have things 'fixed' so we ended up with 3 ISBNs for 1 edition of the same book.

From: Greg Vickers <daehenoc at optusnet.com.au>
Date: 2006/08/17 Thu AM 12:38:49 CDT
To: koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
Subject: [Koha] ISBN problem

Hi all,

I manage the system which hosts Koha for the French cultural center in
Brisbane, Alliance Francase. (http://library.afbrisbane.com) I don't
manage the information in Koha; I installed Koha and manage the server,
I am not a librarian!

This installation has been up and running for about three months and
they have a librarian on-site who is in the process of adding all their
library material to Koha. He's come across a strange problem in the last
couple of days:

Search the public catalog for ISBN 2914935692 and it will return a
record for "Comptines" with a subtitle of "méthode de franðcais". He did
not enter that subtitle, so that's the first strange thing (inserted via
z39.50??) and the second strange thing is that this record shows a
different ISBN: 2-03-870211X!

The librarian has a suspicion that running the rebuildnonmarc.pl script
may help. I read the description of what that script does and it's all
Greek to me.

Would that script help, or is this problem being caused by something else?

Thanks,
Greg