[Koha] Marc-import from text-file

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Mon Jul 31 13:15:53 NZST 2006

Sunday, July 30, 2006    20:08 CDT

Hi, Kim,

I don't remember ever seeing that Koha could import MARC-like data (MARC-post?) from a text file per se, but since you have MARC data in a delimited text file format, you can use a free tool like ****MARCEdit****, available gratis from the Library of Congress MARC Specialized Tools page off of its MARC Records, Systems and Tools section at
   URL <http://www.loc.gov/marc/marctools.html>
to convert the data into true MARC format, which Koha definitely can handle. The built-in instructions are pretty clear (for example, I don't believe you could use the sign that you have for text delimiting, but that can be fixed easily).

However, if that is not convenient (enough) for you, and if you have the text file handy, I could convert it for you readily. Just send it to me with a note off listserv.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

From: Kim Andre Tallerås <KimA.Talleras at stud.jbi.hio.no>
Date: 2006/07/30 Sun PM 12:03:48 CDT
To: koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
Subject: [Koha] Marc-import from text-file

Hello. I`m wondering how I, if it`s possible, could import Marc-post directly
from a text-file. I have about 1000 Marc-biblios in a text-file seperated with
the sign "^". I`ve read most of the guides on the KOHA documentation site
without getting any wiser regarding this kind of import-procedure.

All the best
Kim Tallerås