[Koha] Mellon Awards for Technology Collaboration

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sat Jun 10 00:08:52 NZST 2006

Hi Folks,

First off, thanks to everyone for support on the non-techie side
for offering to go after a grant like this. One of the discussions
we had at the Koha Developer's Week conference, was the fact that
there are quite a few such opportunities for library-related endeavors,
but that without a non-profit organization to nominate, we're not able
to apply. The same holds true for this Mellon Foundation grant.

(See http://www.mellon.org/MellonGeneral.htm where it says "The Foundation
does not make grants to individuals.").

In fact, it's just as well, since from the developer's point of view,
we wouldn't want to accept a grant that couldn't benefit the whole
community, rather than just one company or person.

Now, that said, we are in the process of forming a non-profit (501(c)3
Koha organization in the states, and I believe similar efforts are
happening in France. Once these organizations are in place, we'll make
an announcement that librarians (or anyone) interested in finding grant
money to help foster the project, can do so through the non-profit. So,
this post was quite timely :-)

Again, thanks for the support.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE