[Koha] Re: Emilda and Koha: how to choose between them?

Paul Gear paul at gear.dyndns.org
Thu May 18 22:30:46 NZST 2006

Pierrick LE GALL wrote:
>>* [Emilda cons] Developer/user communities not so active
>
> That's a really bad point in my opinion (see my conclusion below).

Agreed - that's why it's in the cons column.  ;-)

>>* [Koha cons] Install not so simple - no Debian package; requires
>>messing about with CPAN
>

> I totally agree, installing Koha is not simple. We have to make an
> effort to simplify the installation procedure. Nevertheless, in my
> opinion, Koha will hardly be as simple to install as a Php/MySQL
> software. Simply because of Perl additionnal modules.

Debian has all but one or two of the Perl modules available in the main
distribution.  It would be nice if those and Koha itself were available
from apt-getable sources.

> Furthermore, with Koha 3.0 will come a new step in the technical
> installation: zebra server. I think Emilda also uses one (I confirm
> after visiting Emilda website), so if you've found Emilda installation
> easy, it means Koha can make zebra installation easy.

apt-get and a Debian package that just works are what makes Emilda's
installation easy.  Speaking of zebra, assuming i have my library
working with Emilda, how hard would it be to extract everything in my
local Zebra server and pump it in as a Koha biblio?

> In some way, the drawback of Perl is also CPAN, because you need to
> install many dependencies from CPAN, check the compatibility, be sure
> the module is maintained.

Exactly - i'd much prefer just to install a package and have it work.

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>