[Koha] Koha on Mac OS X? Seeking more info

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Fri Mar 24 16:28:18 NZST 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 04:40:26PM -0500, Ann Sawusch wrote:
> Let me add my voice to any who are requesting that the 650 subject
> fields be a priority to fix so all the _x & _z , etc. subfields work
> properly.  In collections that are very dense in one subject area, the
> ability to scan/search both the whole 650 as a phrase, as well as the
> individual components is important for accessing the intellectual
> content of the collection.
There's been a lot of misinformation about this issue. If you set up
your frameworks properly the 650 x and z (and any other field you specify)
will 'work properly'. If you're intimidated by the frameworks, Koha 2.2.6
will include a full 'Standard MARC' framework that will have all of that
set up already.

> Browsing a phrase index of 650's has become a
> digital form of physical shelf browsing to learn what a collection holds.
What you're describing is normally achieved using authority records --
which of course Koha fully supports.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE