[Koha] cardnumbers, and borrowernumbers

Stephen Hedges shedges at skemotah.com
Mon Mar 20 10:28:17 NZST 2006

Marty -

The member number actually is called "borrowernumber" in the Koha
database, and is used extensively for indexing your data.  For example,
items that are issued to a borrower are indexed to the borrowernumber, not
the card number.

You can always see the borrowernumber for an existing member; it appears
on the screen as "Membership number" and in your browser's url window as
"bornum" at the end of the url.  When you are adding a member, however,
the borrowernumber is not assigned until you click on the "save" button.
So deriving the card number from the borrowernumber is a bad idea, unless
you want to assign a nonsense card number, save the new member, then go
back in and change the card number once the borrowernumber has been
assigned.

Stephen

--
Stephen Hedges