[Koha] Help-Dewey displays as 99.999 for most entries

Steven F.Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Thu Feb 23 20:36:44 NZDT 2006

Thursday, February 23, 2006     01:21 CST

Hi, Olaf,

A quick and provisional response to your letter ...

IIRC, the version of Koha you referred to using is pre-MARC.

It is important that you discover where that Dewey call number info is stored.
For some of those 2600 records where another Dewey number (other than the obviously incorrect 99.999) is reported, can you see a difference in the record structure that you could imitate?

You should probably ignore the 852 for now (unless that is somehow where you have your Dewey call numbers stored).

Yes, 082 holds an assigned Dewey call number. The call number that your library chooses to use can be held elsewhere and that is an intended function of the 852. I don't understand why/how only the 852 $k would be editable.

The simplest thing would probably be to get the call numbers you want to use moved (mirrored, copied, whatever) to the MARC 942 $k (which will hold Dewey numbers). You will also need to code the 952 properly so that there will be barcodes attached to the actual items.

For more complete and useful information, please do take a look at Stephen Hedges' Koha Documentation page and his User's Guide and Brooke's Newbie guide there. Surf to
     URL <http://www.kohadocs.org>

Hopefully this will get you started in the right direction.

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

From: Olaf Clausen <olafpc at yahoo.ca>
Date: 2006/02/22 Wed PM 06:34:08 CST
To: koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
Subject: [Koha] Help-Dewey displays as 99.999 for most entries

  Hello,

  I'm fairly new to Koha having tried it out several years ago. At that time we had a student enter our books into Koha 1.2.3. For various reasons we had to shelve the project but we were able to enter about 3000 books into the system.
  I am once again trying to get Koha working for our small high school and have installed Koha 2.2.4 on a Fedora Core 4 box and imported the old database from 1.2.3. All the items show up fine but the dewey field in searches is the same for almost all books (2600 of them report 99.9999) and the remainder report another dewey number. I know nothing about MARC and am struggling to find out were the dewey information can be changed. In reading the user guides and posts, it seems to me that MARC tag 082a is supposed to hold this data but only tag 852k is editable and it doesn't seem to allow anything but two letters to be entered. Furthermore, search results show a Dewey field but no location/call number field (ie 852)--so what does 852 do anyway?
  Simpler is better for our little library so straight Dewey would work better for us. Can anyone help me figure out how to access and change the Dewey field for each item?

  Thanks,

  Olaf Clausen
  Fountainview Academy