[Koha] Newbie: Windows NT server, Linux and Koha

Greg Vickers daehenoc at optusnet.com.au
Thu Nov 24 16:19:43 NZDT 2005

Hi Fabian,

Fabian Kruse wrote:

> Hello to all members of the group!
>
> I have been visiting the Koha site for some weeks now, reading the
> Wiki etc. to get more or less an idea of how it works, being a
> network newbie.
> I´m doing an internship in a big organization and right now we are
> searching for a system to organize our small library containing some
> 3000 books, growing about 100 titles a month. Koha seems to be the
> perfect solution in flexibility, TCO and "sympathy".
>
> My problem in convincing the people to give it a try is that all the
> systems in the organization work windows-based, the server on Win NT,
> and I do not have enough network knowledge to be able to discuss the
> topic with the Admin.
>
> So, here´s my question: I have right now two different solutions in
> mind for getting started with Koha in our office - does any of those
> work or do you have another idea?
>
> 1. Get a new PC, install - let´s say - Fedora Core, install Apache,
> Perl, PHP and Koha. Connect this system to the Windows NT server and
> be able to provide access to Koha to all 50 workstations of the
> office. There is no need to provide public access (yet), so I think
> the system has not be the latest server hardware, but a normal
> workstation would do.
> But: is it possible to connect the Linux PC to the Windows NT server
> and enable it to be accesible for ALL Windows workstations of the
> office?!?

You do not have to 'connect' the Linux server to the NT server. You
would assign the Linux Koha server an IP address and make an entry into
the internal DNS so that when people browse to
http://library.your.company.name/ they get to the OPAC interface.

> 2. Install Koha on Windows, as described in the manual. Z39.50 would
> not work as I understand it, but I think we could live without it.
>
> I would PREFER the first solution, just to let the NT server untouched.
> Would this work?
>
> I appreciate very much every thought on this topic; if anyone has a
> good weblink for a NT/Linux-network introduction I would be grateful
> as well.

The Linux Documentation Project has several HOWTOs on networking for
Linux, here is one:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Networking-Overview-HOWTO.html

> Thanks a lot and keep up the cool work! :))
> Koha mailing list

Greg