[Koha] Re: itemcallnumber

Mike D. dalgity at htl.net
Tue Aug 23 03:01:26 NZST 2005

Waylon Robertson <waylon at ...> writes:

> At 06:38 a.m. 20/08/2005, Mike D. wrote:
> >Part of my question is what does the itemcallnumber preference setting do
> >exactly?  I've read the section in the user's guide several times and it's
> >still
> >not clear to me.
> In additem.pl it determines if and where the itemcallnumber field should be
> placed, and a cgi list (FIXME, a cgi scrolling list embedded into perl)
> displays some kid of list using results of this as a default. Relevant code
> follows.
> line 205
> # search for itemcallnumber if applicable
>                  if ($tagslib->{$tag}->{$subfield}->{kohafield} eq
> 'items.itemcallnumber' && C4::Context->preference('itemcallnumber')) {
>                          my $CNtag =
> substr(C4::Context->preference('itemcallnumber'),0,3);
>                          my $CNsubfield =
> substr(C4::Context->preference('itemcallnumber'),3,1);
>                          my $temp = $record->field($CNtag);
>                          if ($temp) {
>                                  $value = $temp->subfield($CNsubfield);
>                          }
>                  }
> then from line 245:
>                          $subfield_data{marc_value}=
> CGI::scrolling_list(-name=>'field_value',
>
                           -values=>
> \ <at> authorised_values,
>
                            -default=>"$value",
> -labels =>
> \%authorised_lib,
> -size=>1,
> -multiple=>0,
> );
>
> >Is it supposed to give you a default call number from another MARC field?
> >Say I
> >have item.itemcallnumber linked to 952c now if I set the itemcallnumber
> >preference to 050a should it copy the contents of 050a to 952c as a
> >default call
> >number to edit when adding an item?
>  >From C:\usr\koha200pre2\scripts\updater\updatedatabase...
> (818):            variable            => 'itemcallnumber',
> (822):            explanation => 'The MARC field/subfield that is used to
> calculate the itemcallnumber (in UNIMARC : 676a for Dewey, 680a for Loc)',
> (1341):      $dbh->prepare("ALTER TABLE `items` CHANGE `bulk`
> `itemcallnumber` VARCHAR( 30 ) DEFAULT NULL");
> (1343):    $sti = $dbh->prepare("update marc_subfield_structure set
> kohafield=\"items.itemcallnumber\" where kohafield=\"items.bulk\"");
> (1532):# adding itemcallnumber entry
>
> >OR
> >Is it used to tell the opac what the callnumber field is? So instead of
> >displaying/searching a call number using biblioitems.classification it uses
> >952c? This seems somewhat circular to me so I'm think it's the other one.
> >
> >I think I might be visiting an old topic here but I didn't see any solution to
> >the thread in the archives. Regarding the thread "opac call number display
> >different in normal & marc views" from 2005-05-15, I am experiencing the same
> [...]

Thank you both Waylon and Thomas for your replies. Unfortunately I feel I'm
almost able to grasp it but just not quite. Sorry if I confuse some terminology
like tags and fields but it's due to being a MARC newbie (a PERL newbie as
well). From the first code section I believe it's parsing the itemcallnumber
preference setting for a MARC tag/subfield, the contents are then assigned to
$value. $value is then used to provide a default value for the call number field
when adding an item.

But this seems to contradict the following sentence in the Users's Guide Ch1:
"If you choose to use item call numbers -- ... -- then you must use this
preference to tell Koha which subfield in your MARC holding tag contains the
entire call number."
Following that would lead me to believe the itemcallnumber preference should be
set to the same field that item.itemcallnumber is mapped to. (See what I mean by
circular?)

Ok, I think I may have just grasped the concept. The above excerpt only applies
to migrating to Koha and the old system contains the entire call number in some
other tag? I'm setting up a completely new system using MARC21 and LOC
classification/call numbers. So my call numbers are based on 050a and 050b.
Looking at the code it doesn't look like I can specify more than one subfield so
my best bet is to use 050a for the itemcallnumber preference?

Thomas, when you say "Map 852 $k, 050 $a, 050 $b, and 852 $m concatenated
together sequentially to 952 $h for items.itemcallnumber" you are talking about
manipulating the MARC records externally to Koha right? I think most of your
document is targeted at people migrating to Koha correct? But the "KOHA TEMPLATE
CALL NUMBER USE" section did help me. This means I should be able to change the
templates in the manner I did below, correct?

Thanks,
Mike