[Koha] Question re: NPL OPAC icons & ItemTypes

Bigwood, David bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Fri Jun 17 03:12:27 NZST 2005

Paul,

The GMD is the General Material Designation. There are 2 lists of approved terms in the Anglo-American Cataloging Rules. One for the US and another for the UK. It is used in field 245 subfield h. They are a short list of very general types of materials, less than 20 terms. For example, they have videorecording as a term. To see if it is VHS or DVD or CD-V or some other format other places in the record must be consulted. Most likely the Specific Material Desiginations (SMD) used in field 300.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Lunar & Planetary Institute