[Koha] Question re: NPL OPAC icons & ItemTypes

Stephen Hedges shedges at skemotah.com
Fri Jun 17 02:11:16 NZST 2005

Paul POULAIN said:
> Stephen Hedges a écrit :
[...]
>> I have to say that the idea of developing icons for every general medium
>> designator (GMD) is intriguing, and we could make the icons available as
>> part of the Koha package.  Is there something similar to the GMD in
>> UNIMARC?
> What is a GMD is not clear to me...

It's a code that's inserted into the MARC record (245h in MARC 21) that
specifies if the item being cataloged is a monograph, a computer file, a
video recording, etc.  (Maybe Steve B. can tell us what all 27 official
GMD's are?)  In other words, it's very similar to an itemtype.

> However, I plan to add a feature to itemtypes, the url to the image to
> show in front of it (in head, for next major relase, not for 2.2.x)
> The url being either a "relative url" (= an image in Koha official
> release) or a "complete url (=an image belonging to the library).
> The "relative url" being for libraries that are happy with official
> images, the "complete url" being for libraries that want their own images.
>
> My idea being the itemtype code is local to a library, so we need a way
> to "map" itemtype to the image.
>
> Let me know what is GMD or if my idea is good/stupid (& why)

Sounds like a very good idea to me.  It should provide libraries with a
choice of using an "official" Koha icon for their item types, or making
their own icons.  How do we decide what the "official" icons are?

Stephen

--
Stephen Hedges
Skemotah Solutions, USA