[Koha] Db/Textworks

Phill Hardstaff phillh at spc.int
Tue Feb 15 17:31:22 NZDT 2005

On Tuesday 15 February 2005 11:05, Steven F. Baljkas wrote:
> Monday, February 14, 2005    17:55 CST
>
> Hi, Bob, Phill, et al.,
>
> Just one quick comment and one short question re: Bob's answer ....
>
> You might want to check out MARCEdit off the MARC Tools page at LC at URL
> <http://www.loc.gov/marc/marctools.html#recordtools> It has a delimited
> text editor which might save you the step of writing the PERL script. Or if
> you don't have access to a PC to use MARCEdit on, give a shout back and I
> can try converting the records for you.

Steve, thanks for that idea. I downloaded MarcEdit, started at lunch time and
by 2PM had successfully imported 125 test records into Koha from
DB/textworks, most of the time was spent reading
http://www.loc.gov/marc/makrbrkr.html because I needed to start with "What is
a MARC record" so I could work out what to map to what. So what I did simply
was :

1) Comma delimited export from DB/TEXTworks 6.1
2) Open in MarcEdit Delimited text converter
3) Map the basic fields (time consuming with fiddly interface)
4) Save the map for reuse
5) Run the conversion
6) Open the output file in Marcedit and select "Make into Marc file"
7) Back to the Linux box and bulkimportmarc.pl -file marcfile.txt
8) 125 MARC record done in 6.1306779384613 seconds

et voila, very COOL ! Now to try and do the lot, ie about 60,000 records.

Cheers

--
Phill Hardstaff
MCSA, CCNA, A+, Network+, Inet+, Server+, CIW Assoc.

Phone +687-260141
Mobile +687 838091
Fax +687-263818
Email phillh at spc.int