[Koha] yet another installer problem

John Caywood jscaywood at cox.net
Wed Feb 9 13:06:55 NZDT 2005

Roger Horne wrote:
> On Sun 06 Feb, Roger Horne (ie I) wrote:
>

>>I am afraid that this is not the problem. I get the error constantly no
>>matter what state Mysql is in.
>

> I have done this:
>
> 1. mysql -p
>     password: mypassword [success]
> 2. Delete every reference to kohaadmin from all mysql files. (Show databases
> shows mysql and test only.)
> 3. Delete the koha directory installed on the last attempt.
> 4. Delete the untarred kaha-2.2.0 directory
> 5. Follow the instructions for 2.2.0, ie untar, change to the koha*
> directory and run ./installer.pl
> 6. Answer all the questions, using defaults and filling in the blanks with
> appropriate details. The mysql root password is entered correctly.
> 7. The installer croaks as before.

 From Section 2.9.3 of the MySql Reference Manual:

   To use SET PASSWORD on Windows, do this:

   shell> mysql -u root
   mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'localhost' = PASSWORD('newpwd');
   mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'%' = PASSWORD('newpwd');

   To use SET PASSWORD on Unix, do this:

   shell> mysql -u root
   mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'localhost' = PASSWORD('newpwd');
   mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR ''@'host_name' = PASSWORD('newpwd');

For reasons I wish I understood, sometimes a connection to the
database will appear to come from "user at localhost", other times it
will appear to come from "user at hostname".  If you set one but not
the other, connection may fail.  If you set both of these,
you will get in.  Note that this applies to user "root",
user "mysql", user "koha", and everyone else.

Hope this helps.

  John S. Caywood, email jscaywood at cox.net