[Koha] Is there a language field in mysql tables?

Steven F. Baljkas baljkas at mts.net
Tue Jan 25 19:59:20 NZDT 2005

Tuesday, January 25, 2005   00:45 CST

Hi, Rachel,

Just wanted to add that having the language field would probably be useful for more libraries than not.

Albert C. responded to the listserv noting the MARC21 field 041 where language info can be coded (the predominant language of the material in hand should be coded in the 008 fixed field, positions 35-37 inclusive, and this is often considered sufficient coding if the work in question is monolingual).

If I understood Zhang's message correctly, though ("I don't need the MARC info too"), that was less of an issue than having the info in the core SQL tables (right?). That distinction brings to mind the question of whether Koha is running off of the MARC records it imports or the tables it populates, stuff which makes cataloguing staff worry.

Another notendum: books can be in more than one language. This is fairly common in Canada, where federal and many provincial documents are flip-flop bilingual editions. A more scholarly example, brought to mind by Brooke's regular Latin salutation, is the entire Loeb classical library (Latin or Greek on left page, English translation on right).

Whatever the example, MARC coding allows for multiple languages being noted in the 041 but what does Koha do with that data?

Just seeking a little clarification on this,

Amitiés, yours,
confused (as usual),
Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large