[Koha] Barcode quandry

Albert P. Calame albert.p.calame at sympatico.ca
Thu Dec 23 17:23:59 NZDT 2004

Greetings All!
    In my many years of experience in library automation, I have always insisted that each library or library branch have a unique series of barcodes. If you are using an alphanumeric symbology such as Code 39 (also called Code 3 of 9) you can use the library or branch holding symbol as the prefix to the code. e.g. Sembeq, a small French Baptist Seminary has a holding symbol assigned by the National Libray of Canada of QMSB, and their barcodes start at QMSB00001.  Patron Barcodes contain the student ID code that has letters from their last name and first initial followed by up to 4 digits.

    The difference between the codes makes sure that the system does not get confused between documents and borrowers, and in large Union catalogues that list the holdings of different branches, the distinction is easy for the computer to make and the users to see.  If you already have barcodes on the volumes, however, the solution to the problem will not be a pleasant one - it would involve re-applying barcodes to the items (of the collection that is the smallest).  The changing of the numbers in the electronic records can be done quite easily.  Certainly, anyone considering automating the collections of multiple branches should consider this before beginning the application of barcode labels.

    I agree, of course, that the system should NEVER accept duplicate barcodes. They must be unique to the item they identify. If you must use, or are using a numeric only barcode symbology, then you should set different numeric prefixes to the ranges of numbers that you will use on the barcodes for different holding branches or libraries.

    Best wishes to all for a happy holiday season from the frozen North!!

    Regards,

    Albert Calame
    Librarian at Large
    Library Management Consultant