[Koha] Obtaining MARC21 records

Bigwood, David bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Thu Dec 9 12:33:06 NZDT 2004

Christopher,

Building a catalog of your collection does require every record to be evaluated. It is very labor intensive. There are some commercial services that will take a list of ISBNs, LCCNs or titles and authors and match on those access points. Marcive has a good reputation. Not free.

Is there a consortium of libraries you could join? You might be able to get access to resources at a discount. Check with your state library and state education agency.

I have made our catalog available for download, lpi.mrc. It might not match your collection but it may be useful in testing. The readme file describes the record set. ftp://www.lpi.usra.edu/pub/outgoing/bigwood/

Another source of a large number of records, but without holdings and very bare is cufts2marc at http://lib-cufts.lib.sfu.ca/CUFTS/cufts2marc-list.cgi Again, may be useful for testing.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
bigwood at lpi.usra.edu