[Koha] Different levels of access for Koha OPAC users

Michael Lake Mike.Lake at uts.edu.au
Mon Nov 22 16:28:36 NZDT 2004

Steven F.Baljkas wrote:
> Hi, Michael,
> Treating your last question in two parts ...
> 1) IIRC it is possible to choose which branches of a library one gives web access to via the Koha OPAC.
> Wouldn't it be possible to treat the Special Collection (the ones you really don't want exposed to theft) in a 'branch' that is only visible internally?
> At the very worst, I'd think you could have 2 different Koha's running, one truly public, the other internal or protected to certified users via https.

Okies. I will look at the branch options. I think that as we have three
branches already making one of those a "Masonic Branch :-)" or something
might be confusing. And its using the branch feature of Koha in an
unintended way. Might bite me years later.

> 2) With books of such great value, you might want to see if there is a benefactor, foundation or national agency that could help arrange proper insurance and documentation, just in case they are ever (G*d forbid) needed.
We already have many boxes in the NSW State Library. They are all
running out of room :-)

> Someone should definitely speak with your organisation's attorneys regarding legal documentation of ownership and with archivists on marking the texts in acceptable archival manners so that they could be traced if ever taken.
The above is a good idea. Certainly cataloging them in Koha would help
there as it won't get stolen with the lib whereas the card catalog is in
the same place.

Thanks.

--
Michael Lake
Chemistry, Materials & Forensic Science, UTS

--
UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If