[Koha] cost of koha

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Sat Nov 20 04:44:12 NZDT 2004

>I thank Paul POULAIN for providing detail about contribution by
>different developers.
>
>> >So, some comparison of this sort (cost to benefit ratio, total
>> >cost of ownership etc), which may help potential user or
>> >decision maker to take infomed decision and not be misguided by
>> >marketing executive of proprietary software
>>
>> That's not an easy question at all.
>
>Agreed. But if respectable members on this list pool their
>information to have a such type of white paper, then that will boost
>usage and promotion of Koha.
>
>Is there something like "Koha advocacy"?

That wasn't my full answer at all. As I replied off list, the actual
answer to that question is highly complex because the proprietary
vendors charge based on a number of different factors, so you would have
to compare the cost of Koha to the cost of a proprietary package on an
individual library basis. That's not even counting a feature comparison
or stability comparison, et cetera.
I did say in my wiki that my server only ran me about $700 which would
of course be much less today for comparable components.
I don't think that this is a waste of time if it's something that you
wanted to tackle, but it's certainly not something that I would want to
help research. I'd rather help with documentation first. I think the
biggest boost to usage will be the great idea that I believe Rachel had
of visiting shows and showing people Koha first hand. I think Koha is
catching on somewhat because there seem to be more articles in the works
that mention it. I'm itching to see the 2.2 features as soon as the
husband/systems administrator installs it for me. :) I'm always
terrified that my data will disappear in a puff of smoke, but that
didn't happen last time, so I'll cross my fingers for this time.

Cheers,
Brooke @ Hinsdale, MA