[Koha] cost of koha

Gerry Arthus garthus at lilrc.org
Sat Nov 20 04:23:10 NZDT 2004

H S Rai,
I think that time and resources expended on this topic is a waste.  Even
if the cost factors were not in Koha's favor, flexibility and
customization dictate the usage of non proprietary software. Here in the
United States, most in libraries and academia are so brainwashed (maybe
intellectually lazy would be a better term) that even when I offer to
set up open soft software for free and give them the server, they still
prefer to take the lazy way out and pay exorbitant sums for inferior
proprietary software. I have virtually given up such endeavors here in
the US. They will have to suffer the consequences of such insane
decisions when their economy inevitably contracts due to worker laziness
and incompetence. I for example am working in the Central Asian region,
where management is very receptive since they do not have any other
choice (no funds available for proprietary software). Much like the
farmer who has to build it himself, they will either have to bite the
bullet and use Open Source Software, or never enter the information
technology age. A Chinese proverb states "do not cast your pearls in
front of swine"  and we should not waste our time on such endeavors.
Every resource spent on improving the software is a much better option
since it will help people who are willing to use it, instead of wasting
our precious time trying to convince people who should know better.

Gerry