[Koha] Acquisitions search

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Thu Nov 18 18:33:35 NZDT 2004

Hi

>>Maybe I am missing something important here, too.
>

> I'm just not being clear enough.  Of course there should be
> separate pages for Acquisitions search and Catalog search, but
> the Acquistions search shouldn't be limited to only title and
> ISBN.  All the options of the regular search should also be
> available for searching in the Acquisitions module.

Sorry I'm jumping in late - but I think I know acquisitions pretty well,
so lets see if I can help :-)

In Acquisitions, the only thing you should be searching the catalogue is
to see if you have a particular title because you're adding one in.

So the search should be fairly specific - you don't want to wade through
10 pages of results to see if the book in your hand/order form is
already in your catalgue or breeding farm/resevoire.

I can't imagine that you would want to slow that down by combining
searches etc - unless in Real Life (TM) people have so incorrectly
catalogued an item that you need some other method of tracking it down,
to add your new item to that biblio? But if that was the case wouldn't
you want to just add a new one anyway?

The basic premise we had of acquisitions is that you're acquisitioning a
new item, probably one of 20 that just came in a box, and you want a
super fast way to accuratly check that you don't have the biblio already
loaded (or to load it from the Resevoire if you have it).

The other think you do in acquisistions if you're using the full mode,
is to check up on suppliers, see what is on order etc etc, which I
wouldn't think needs the general search stuff either?

Does that make more sense?

OR crucially is our "picture" wrong, and that's not actually what's
happening in Real Life Acquisitioning?

Cheers
Rachel

>   -- Owen

Rachel Hamilton-Williams                Katipo Communications
MANAGING DIRECTOR                       Ph  021 389 128 or +64 04 934 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz              PO Box 12487, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz                 New Zealand
Koha Open Source Library System
http://www.koha.org