[Koha] Questions on data security, liability and RFP issues

MJ Ray mjr at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Nov 18 01:29:50 NZDT 2004

On 2004-11-16 22:56:49 +0000 Brenda Chawner <Brenda.Chawner at vuw.ac.nz>
wrote:

> [...] Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and Intellectual
> Property
> Law by Lawrence Rosen.

A note of caution about this one: Lawrence Rosen is legal counsel to
the failed Open Source Initiative (which is dangerous because it
claimed to have "no position" on so-called "intellectual property")
and the author of two licences that debian contributors don't much
like: I think it was because they seem to make distributors
responsible for ensuring users enter into a contract.

I've not reviewed either book and I'm not a lawyer, but I think you
should look at the author's background when considering their advice.

Good recommendation of First Monday. I've liked reading it in the
past. Their current issue has a lot of interesting articles too,
including one on accountability. Not quite the same as liability, but
might interest some.
http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue9_11/index.html

  Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
  Unsolicited attachments to the pipex address deleted
Will HLF fund tree-killings? http://www.thewalks.co.uk/