[Koha] Questions on data security, liability and RFP issues

Gerry Arthus garthus at lilrc.org
Tue Nov 9 02:25:56 NZDT 2004

MJ Ray,

Security is only ask good as the best backup. That is a backup off
machine and preferably off-site.All systems can be compromised in one
way or another. Worry  more about whether your dbase is backed  and less
about hackers. Those libraries who retain vendors (at often extortionary
prices) do not worry about such things , since the vendor does it all,
(including owning their database). The price for freedom from
extortionary vendor tactics is the responsibility of securing one's
records, it is not a resource intensive process..

Gerry :)

Gerry Arthus

Systems Administrator:

Long Island Library Resources Council

SUNY at Stony Brook

Stony Brook, New York

US          11794-3399

Phone: 1-631-632-6652

FAX: 631-632-6662

Home: 631-289-7565

Email: garthus at lilrc.org

Professor:

Departments of:

Graduate Computer Engineering, Earth and Environmental Science, and
Engineering Management

C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University

720 Northern Boulevard

Brookville, New York

US 11548-1300

Phone: 516-299-2293