[Koha] USA Road Trip Update

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Sun Oct 24 17:54:31 NZDT 2004

Hi Darryl

Darryl Gibson wrote:

> Glad your having fun in the USA. Sorry for the bad coffee, but we
> usually seek out Dunkin Doughnuts for decent coffee. Though I gave up
> the stuff for tea, it is really difficult to make a bad cup or pot of tea.

:-)  We found some good coffee (and food) too, but the bad was just sooo
spectacularly bad :-)

> When I joined this list, in late June/early July, there was so little
> message traffic, I ignored it. Now I'm trying to catch up with all the
> traffic I missed!

Yeah there has been a pile lately

> I'm sorry I missed your visit to Pittsburgh, I'm a president of a small
> town library, an hour East of Pitt., and would have loved to have shown
> you our little library. Though I would have been embarrassed to do so.

Oh that would have been cool - never mind

> I know nothing about library operations! About a year ago, I attended a
> library meeting, and offered to donate them a linux machine. They
> gracefully accepted the offer, and nominated me President on the spot.
> Then to my astonishment, they held the election, and I won, unopposed.
> (The needed to fill the position for tax purposes, to obtain their tax
> exempt status.

Crikey that must have been a bit of a shock :-)  I'm pretty sure none of
our libraries here work that way.

> I tried to nurse the powers to be, into adopting Linux, setting up a
> secure network etc... Things went relatively fine while I was busy
> wiring and configuring the network, printer, etc... Then I announced the
> system was working, and we should start the migration to linux, and all
> heck broke loose. The director wanted guarantees about inbound and
> outbound security, porn filtering etc... I was totally unprepared for
> the attack, and I stepped away for everything to regroup and see what
> would happen.

> Wednesday, 11/3, I have to show up, or my position became vacant, for
> missing three meetings. So that is my showdown at the OK Corral.

Is that three committee meetings?

> Anyway, can anybody point me to some good "Why Linux" sites? If I can
> prove my point next month, I'm going to resign, over software license
> liability issues. (We don't have any!)

> Ah, politics.

Man that does all sound a bit weird to me.

OK I'm not sure about the "why linux" sites but here are some things
that might start you off....

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/D8756CF82783C722CC256F1400175226

Should Your Business Use Linux?
http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit010.html

How do I convince my boss that Linux is an excellent operating system
for business use?

http://www.linuxjournal.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=5

Adding Linux to Corporate Networks Is Harder Than You Think
http://www.osopinion.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=1594&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Why Linux?
http://stason.org/TULARC/os/why-linux.html

How to convice your manager it's ok to use open source (from HP)

http://opensource.hp.com/downloads/HowToConvinceYourManager.pdf

http://www.linuxjournal.com/search.php?query=&topic=9

And this one looks interesting...
http://opensource.hp.com/the_source/linux_papers/als-fullpaper-1999.html

Hope they help - or give you a place to start anyway :-)

cheers
Rachel

> Darryl Gibson, President, Panther Valley Public Library
> http://home.ptd.net/~pvplib/

Rachel Hamilton-Williams                Katipo Communications
MANAGING DIRECTOR                       Ph  021 389 128 or +64 04 934 1285
mailto:rachel at katipo.co.nz              PO Box 12487, Wellington
http://www.katipo.co.nz                 New Zealand
Koha Open Source Library System
http://www.koha.org