[Koha] Breeding farm => Repository

Stephen Hedges shedges at skemotah.com
Tue Sep 28 12:19:42 NZST 2004

BWS Johnson said:
> How about raw records then? I think the simpler the language, the easier
> the translation and use.

I kinda like that -- it conveys the idea that the MARC records in the
repository are "uncooked," that you take them and "cook" them (by adding
your holdings information) and then they are ready to serve up in the
catalog.

But I think the problem is that "raw records" describes the records, and
not the entity that holds them.

I have problems of one sort or the other with every term that's been
proposed.  Even "repository" (my suggestion) gives the idea that the
records are just stored there in a state of "repose."

The "breeding farm" is really a "stockpile for imported but unfinished
MARC records."  So is there a way to condense that to one or two words?

Paul is correct, I had originally thought that "reservoir" -- which is the
term used in the French templates -- was best, since it conveys the idea
of a place to hold records for later use.  But the cataloger doesn't
simply draw from the reservoir, there's an essential modification to the
record that takes place as it's pulled from the "stockpile for imported
but unfinished MARC records."  Still, "reservior" does have the advantage
of working (sort of) in at least two languages!

--
Stephen Hedges
Skemotah Solutions, USA
www.skemotah.com  --  shedges at skemotah.com