[Koha] (no subject)

Stephen Hedges shedges at skemotah.com
Sun Sep 26 07:08:51 NZST 2004

Kim Scannell said:
> 1) Can Koha understand the multiple $a fields and map the first part to
> biblioitems.classification and the second part to something else?

No, it can't.  I'm not sure what you would get, but I'm sure it wouldn't
be what you wanted.  (I think that the MARC check you do after setting up
your MARC parameters would complain, too.)

> 2) Where should I map the second part? (Let's assume I changed it to a
> subfield
> $b.) To biblioitems.dewey or biblioitems.subclass?

I think either one would work, provided...

> 3) As you know, biblioitems.dewey is of type double(8,6) and
> biblioitems.subclass is type char(3).  If I use one of these fields, I
> will have
> to change the type, probably to varchar(25).  Will changing this field
> type have
> any effect on other parts of Koha (scripts, displays, calculations, etc.?)

No, in fact (iirc) the dewey field will be a character field in up-coming
versions of Koha.

> 4) My call #s have strange characters like forward slashes, dots, hyphens,
> and
> spaces.  Will this be a problem?

I don't think so, but others may be able to think of potential problems.

--
Stephen Hedges
Skemotah Solutions, USA
www.skemotah.com  --  shedges at skemotah.com