[Koha] Problem with MARC tag structure admin (and others)

Scott Scriven koha-main at toykeeper.net
Fri Sep 3 13:00:34 NZST 2004

* Stephen Hedges <shedges at skemotah.com> wrote:
> Dana Huff said:
> > And, BTW, should the IE browser incompatibility be noted as a bug?
>
> Seriously, I'm not an expert on browsers, but I do know some, and I'm told
> that IE operates so differently from "normal" browsers that you'd pretty
> much have to write the code to work on IE (and nothing else) or on
> everything else (and not IE).  Too bad we're forced into making such
> choices...

That's not entirely true.  IE is one hell of a nasty browser, but
making relatively simple things work in it isn't very difficult.
Most of the javascript I've seen in Koha seems to merely show and
hide page elements, which can be done in many different ways.
Some of those ways work on IE, and some don't.  However, I
haven't looked in depth at Koha's web tricks, so I may be missing
something important.

In the worst case, each page could detect which browser is
viewing it, and send different scripts accordingly.  This would
be cumbersome to the development process (must write things
twice), but might be worthwhile.  Supposedly about half of the
population still uses IE even though it barely even resembles
what the W3C would call a compliant browser.

Or, Koha could simply inform users not to use IE.

For a while, I had a specially-crafted PNG image on my site
which, when viewed with IE (but no other browsers), displayed "IF
YOU CAN READ THIS, YOUR BROWSER SUCKS".

-- Scott