[Koha] Mailing List Footer

Baljkas Family baljkas at mts.net
Tue Aug 31 09:42:00 NZST 2004

Monday, August 30, 2004    16:25 CDT

Hi, Gerry,

Before you make any other pronouncements on the subject, a thought that might not have occurred to you: perhaps people think that what they are doing to unsub from Koha is the correct procedure *based on their previous experience with listservs.*

I am far too untrusting of most computer-things to make too many assumptions -- and hence am always bugging tech people to make absolutely sure I've understood correctly --, but in defense of the (I will admit) somewhat out-of-the-loop souls who keep trying to unsub from Koha by sending a message to the Koha listserv, what we have seen over the past month (and more) would actually have worked for three listservs I used to follow, all of which, ironically given your denouncement, were for library workers.

I realise that bashing unsub'ers is kind of like making jokes about the Amish at a comedy club -- not likely you're going to hear much protest from the target of the joke -- but it might not hurt to clarify things in the footer as has been suggested.

IIRC, the AUTOCAT listserv messages (is it run out of your location of SUNY, I cannot remember?) offered a rather lengthy footer that made things very clear: to change how one received the listserv (direct messages, daily digest) click link A, to unsub, link B, to pause for vacation, link C, etc., etc.

At the very least, clarifying matters with the footer will allow you full rights of contempt to diss any future English-as-first-language users who dare try to unsub via the list. Maybe it'll even frighten people to keep going with Koha! ;-)

Steven F. Baljkas
library tech at large
Koha neophyte
Winnipeg, MB, Canada