[Koha] A quick question on biblioitems.dewey field's datatype

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at icbic.com
Mon Aug 23 05:55:00 NZST 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-22 at 22:49, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-08-22 12:06:33 +0100 Indranil Das Gupta <indradg at icbic.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Why is the biblioitems.dewey field set to double(8,6) and not to, say
> > varchar(15) or something like that?
>
> I think quite a few developers have been wondering that recently, too.
> Unless there's a killer reason to keep it numeric, I expect it to
> change in 2.1.* before much longer.

Thanks for the info. At my deployment site, use of double precision
datatype was leading to the decimal part of the stored dewey number
being padded with extra zeros. And this was reflecting a wrong value in
the OPAC interface.

So, I simply changed the fieldtype to varchar(15) and rerun
misc/rebuildnonmarc.pl. Now, the dewey value is being correctly stored
in biblioitems.dewey and properly displayed in the OPAC.

So far, I haven't noticed any inconsistency due to the change.

cheers,
-indra.

Indranil Das Gupta, Project Lead, CASTLE Project
[Computer Aided Studies, Teaching and Learning Environment]
In collaboration with:
West Bengal University of Technology
Calcutta, INDIA
www.wbut.net