[Koha] MARC tag structure

Library lib at gndec.ac.in
Thu Aug 19 17:42:26 NZST 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Suzanne Gilbert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have been using various versions of koha for about 2 years.  Each
> time our computer person would put the updated version on the library
> computer, it has been a good thing...it has made my job easier.  That is
> until this latest version (2.0).  I am so confused and frustrated, I'm
> ready to scrape the whole thing and go back to the good old days of
> paper and pencil.
> I am not a librarian, but know the dewey decimal system and how to run a
> library, in general.  I am starting my 6th year as the librarian at a
> small  ( just over 100 students) K-8 school.  When I started here, the
> library was computerized using a system by the Follette Company.  It was
> pretty straight forward and the previous librarian taught me every thing
> I would need to know (so I thought).
> All the previous versions of koha had everything our library needed.
> This new version is giving me way too much information.  Is there a
> version for people who are not really librarians and don't need to set
> tag fields, etc. ?
> If not, here is where I am stuck... In PARAMETERS, I went to MARC tag
> structure.  Clicking on MARC tag structure, it took me to the MARC tag
> structure admin.  Across the top of that page it has:
> Tag Lib   Repeatable  Mandatory  Authorized Value  Subfields  Edit  Delete.
> What does REPEATABLE and MANDATORY mean?
Reaeatable means you want to repeat the same values in other record for
this tags i.e. may be the author of 2 or more books is same.
Manadatory means you have to assign the any value to the tag,you never
enter the data without filling the manadatory fiels. we need  to
set manadatory only BARCODE(Acc.No.) other tags you can't tick manadatory.

 Under Repeatable and Mandatory
> , for each tag listed it has YES or NO.  Are these Repeatable and
> Mandatory columes pre-set by the koha people?  Should I change them or
> leave them alone?
> Why the heck am I being put through all this trouble when the last
> version was filling all the needs of our small library?  I loved the way
> it was set up when I was doing Original Cataloging for a book.  It was
> so easy and fast.  I planned to put all the non-fiction books on the
> koha system computer over the summer and I haven't been able to get
> anything accomplished.
> Thanks for letting me rant.  If I can get past this Repeatable and
> Mandatory section, maybe I will be able to figure out the rest of it.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Suzanne Gilbert
> IHM School
> P.S.  I used to be on the koha mailing list.  I haven't received any
> messages since early July.  I'm not sure if this is the correct e-mail
> address to which I should send this plea.  If not, please forward this
> message to the proper address.

O/Ic Library
Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College
Ludhiana (Punjab) India